Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Banana Bread and Stuffed Pattypan Squash

Remember those bananas? Well, yesterday we had a few left (about 10 or so), so I stuck some in the freezer and used the rest for this banana bread because there was no way they were going to make it any longer without fermenting. So, I made the Banana Bread from the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book, using agave nectar for the sugar/honey called for. The result was out of this world! It was so moist and sweet, and had a lovely aroma!




And then for dinner tonight I stuffed the pattypan squash I got at the farmer's market on Saturday. I used Susan's recipe as a guide. However, instead of using her stuffing, I stuffed it with Kieran's Favorite Rice from How it All Vegan, which is a great big, messy but tasty mixture of rice, vegetables, beans, seasonings and tofu, and added in some of the scooped out squash. Here it is with the flesh scooped out and ready for the stuffing:

Now with the stuffing, before baking:

And here it is after baking:


It came out really tasty! I really enjoyed the squash itself, and the filling was great too. Happy Fourth of July everyone!

3 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I completely agree with your comment on my blog - since becoming vegan, I have become so much more adventurous with food and cooking, and now baking. it's so much fun to prepare nutritious, TASTY vegan meals :0)

Rose said...

The bread and the squash look tasty :)
I can't believe you've never tried making a tofu scramble! It's really good and if you use extra firm tofu like I did, the texture won't be so much like eggs because like you, I hated eggs before becoming a vegan (well almost vegan). It does get some getting used to but I've made it a couple times and I like it.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

What a great idea with the pattypans! I had so many of those last year! That would be beautiful at Thanksgiving too!

Hey, my crazy 13-year-old has started a sorta-vegetarian blog of her own. When you truely have nothing better to do, drop her a comment if you want...
http://veggiebarbieblog.blogspot.com/

Love your blog, keep it up!!