Saturday, July 28, 2007

Chickpeas and Barley, Stirfry and Bowtie Pasta

Sorry I haven't posted for nearly a week. I was so busy reading some awesome books! I finished Food for Life a day or two after my last post, and since then I have been reading Beyond the 120 Year Diet, which I am now about halfway through. I really am enjoying both books, although at points I get annoyed that Roy Walford in Beyond the 120 Year Diet puts like to no emphasis or importance to vegetarianism, much less veganism. I think if you're planning to live a long life, going vegan is the first change in diet you should consider! Oh well...



Anyway, here's what I've been up to in the kitchen. First, I made Chickpeas and Barley in Red Lentil and Eggplant Sauce from FatFree Vegan Kitchen. I used basil instead of the mint, which seemed to work well. I don't really like mint, especially after a particular experience a year ago, when I made a quinoa salad that had way, way, way too much mint. Anyway, this was very good. I think I made this recipe before and it was bland, but this time it was tasty. Maybe it's the basil?



Next, I made a stirfry. It had 3(!) baby bok choy, some snow peas, carrots, celery, cremini mushrooms, onions and garlic, as well as Sweet and Sour Tofu from VeganYumYum. I doubled the sauce since I was adding vegetables. Add I made several changes to the sauce: I used lemon juice instead of vinegar, agave nectar for sugar and molasses and reduced the amount, left out the ketchup and salt, and used fresh ginger. I also didn't use the eggreplacer and just used the moisture on the outside of the tofu to make the cornstarch stick. Also, instead of frying the tofu, I added it to the dry pan, adding very little water as necessary to keep the tofu from sticking and to help form that sticky coating. This recipe was okay, but it didn't turn out how I was hoping it would. There was WAY too much cornstarch, forming this great stick mess, hardly resembling a good stirfry, and the vegetables were a little over cooked, and the sauce didn't really coat the tofu like it should have. And the flavor of the sauce wasn't spectacular either. But don't let that discorage you from trying this recipe. I think I just screwed up a good recipe. I made a similar recipe before, Tangerine Seitan, except with tofu and no oil, and it comes out very delicious! I first made it in March and have made it at least three times since then. It is much more flavorful than this was, so from now on when I want tofu with that sticky coating, I'll just stick with this one!



After that, I made my own creation, and it was a success! I didn't really measure anything or keep track of how long it took for different parts to cook, but here's a general recipe:

Bowtie Pasta with Chickpeas and Vegetables

Ingredients:
5 oz. whole wheat bowtie pasta
water to cook pasta
about 1.5 cups of chickpeas
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, sliced
a handful of cremini mushrooms, chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
a few handfuls of grape tomatoes
1 TB. italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. lemon pepper
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
large handful of spinach

Cook the pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, put a very tiny amount of water into a pot and add the garlic, and cook on high for about 2 minutes, stirring often and adding more water if neccessary to prevent sticking. Then, add mushrooms, zucchini, carrots, italian seasoning, lemon pepper and crushed red pepper, stir to mix, add a little water if neccessary, and cook over medium-high until zucchini and carrots are tender. Add tomatoes, cook for about 2 minutes, then add chickpeas and spinach and cook for about 5 more minutes, until chickpeas are warmed. Drain pasta when it's done and add to the chickpeas and vegetables. Turn of heat and mix the pasta in well.

This was really great. I used to wonder how to come up with recipes of my own, but lately it's come so easily to me, and been pretty successful! I guess all it takes is some cooking experience and knowledge of different foods.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I begin on internet with a directory