Friday, July 20, 2007

Black Beans and Yet Another Curry

A few nights ago I made Lentil Chili, which makes a huge amount (enough that my parents and I ate it three nights in a row and still had a good amount left over to freeze). Unfortunately, my camera still wasn't working, so I didn't get a picture.



I still don't know what was wrong with the camera, but it finally start working again two days ago, when I made yet another curry from Real Vegetarian Thai. This time I made Panaeng Curry with Wheatballs and Wild Lime Leaves, except I used tofu instead of the wheatballs because I'm lazy, and almonds instead of peanuts because we didn't have any peanuts. I used a little more curry paste than the recipe called for, maybe 1/2-1 tablespoon extra because that was all we had left and we wanted to use it up. BIG MISTAKE! This curry was way, way, way too HOT! It probably would have been flavorful, but it's hard to enjoy even a flavorful dish when your mouth and throat are on fire. I had to drink so much water during and after this meal. We also had some wild rice along with the curry. I forgot how much better wild rice tastes than regular brown rice. We had this bag of wild rice sitting in the cabinet and wanted to use it up since it has been there for who knows how long.



Fortunately, there were no leftovers from the curry, so last night we made a black bean recipe from the newspaper. The original recipe called for Cotija cheese, whatever that is, but we left it out. Also, we cooked the beans in the crockpot instead of the stovetop, and used some of the cooking liquid from the black beans to saute the onions instead of oil, and we made 1.5 of the recipe. It was pretty good, although it was a little bit too watery. I like my beans nice and dry and thick. It will probably taste better tonight and be thicker. Here's the recipe, with my adaptions:

Ingredients:
3 cups dry black beans
enough water to cook black beans
3 medium onions, chopped
2 T cumin
2 tsp chili powder
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1.5 cups cilantro, finely chopped

Cook the black beans how you would normally cook them, either on the stove or in a crockpot, whichever you prefer, or use an equivalent amount of canned black beans. Then, drain a little liquid out of the beans (about a tablespoon or two, just enough to keep the onions from burning), pour it into a large pot, and add to onions and cook them until translucent. Then, add the cumin and chili powder, mix and cook for two minutes, then add the cooked black beans and cook with the lid off for at least ten minutes, or until the bean reach the thickness and moisture level you prefer. Turn off the heat and garnish with the tomatoes and cilantro.

Yesterday I went to Half Price Books and bought Beyond the 120 Year Diet by Roy Walford and The Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas, and I checked out Food for Life by Neal Barnard at the library. So I have a lot of read to do! And pretty soon I should probably start reading my summer reading book, The Poisonwood Bible, too.

2 comments:

Rose said...

I'm so glad to hear that you checked out Food for Life. Let me know what you thought of it when you finish reading :)

Sheree' said...

Oh how I love curry. I found out early on not to increase the curry. The whole mouth and throat burning experienc just ruins the meal. :o)

I love the books you got. What a deal.