Monday, January 7, 2008

Back To School

Today, in less than an hour, I have to go back to school. These past two weeks have gone by way, way too fast. Oh well, before I know it I'll be in California!



A few nights ago I made the Tomato-Olive Rice Bake from The Everyday Vegan. I left out the olives because I hate olives and the soy parmesan. It was tasty, but it was too watery and the top didn't brown, even after cooking it longer than it said to. Afterwards, I looked at the recipe and realized that I was supposed to drained the can of tomatoes it called for. Oh well. The next day we had leftovers, and when we reheated it, it wasn't watery anymore. This is definately one of those recipes that taste better the next day.



Last night, I made the Sweet and Simple Grain Pilaf from The Everyday Vegan. This was so easy to make! The recipe itself was flavorful, with lots of spices and sweet raisins. I used millet as the grain. I have never tried millet before. It was okay, but I prefer quinoa. I didn't really like the texture of the millet, it was kind of thick and sticky. But it only takes 20 minutes to cook, less time than brown rice.

Today is my brother's 20th birthday. I can't believe it! Now I'm the only teenager left in the family! Unfortunately, I'm not making him a vegan cake. He wouldn't touch it!

3 comments:

Rose said...

I hate olives too! That's too bad you didn't like millet 'cause it's a grain I have yet to try. However, since you described it as thick, I might like it.

Ruby Red said...

weird thing: i used to hate olives, but i started eating them again and really love them.

i haven't tried millet before, but i was looking at a package of it at the store the other day and it looks exactly like quinoa uncooked. even though you said you like quinoa better, i still want to try millet...i'll just know not to get my hopes up too high about it!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I also hate olives!! Looks like we're definitely NOT the only ones :0)

And, adding to the similarities, I too have never tried millet - hopefully you'll find other grains you like!

Happy belated birthday to your brother!